Thursday, October 18, 2012

I have just caught-up in my required readings for Module 2a and 2b.  Unfortunately, I am unable to respond in the conference section of WebTycho as the deadline has passed. 

In regards to Open Educational Resources:

I agree with the majority of my classmates in the idea that content does not equal education.  As I was reading both articles by Bates and McGreal I thought of "playing the guitar" as an analogy.  I can play the guitar but I would not consider myself an expert.  I could read as much free or open information about playing the guitar but this would not help in practice.  The content OER provides must be put into practice to be considered effective.  There is a wealth of information available to us as students.  We need to apply the information read and learned, and put it into practice in order to gain an education.  Distance education institutions facilitate this educational gain, and as such, there are associated costs.  "Nothing in this world is free" is a applicable concept in regards to distance education.

My thoughts on blogging as an educational tool:

I was of the opinion that blogging was out-dated.  Bloggers were older individuals who needed a forum and a place to hide.  After reading the articles from Kurtz and Porath I am of a different opinion.  There are many educational benefits to blogging.  Some of these pros are critical thinking, collaboration, retention and expression of thoughts.  Students can benefit from a blog because it allows a less formal forum and can create a learning environment outside the classroom.

Current state:

I feel as if I am learning a lot about technology in distance education.  Blogs, wikis and virtual learning spaces were very foreign before I began this class.  I am still learning the effective practice of such mediums, and look forward to continuing my educational journey.  I will continue into Module 3 with an open mind and eye and strive to become a better self-regulated autonomous learner.  More to follow.

-Eric Belt

No comments:

Post a Comment